How to complain

At Burton Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust we aim to provide a high standard of care.  However, there may be occasions where you feel we have not been able to meet your expectations.  If this happens, we very much want to know about it.  Please talk to the staff who are involved with your care. They can often sort out problems easily and quickly.   Please be reassured you will not be discriminated against or treated adversely, if you wish to raise a concern, worry or complaint, your care and treatment will not be affected.  

How to Complain

If you are not happy with any aspect of your care you should talk to the person providing the service, like the nurse in charge or the Sister/Senior Sister or ask to speak to the manager of the service or department.  Our staff may be able to quickly resolve any issues or problems.  Our staff want to know if you are not happy, so that they can help and support you. 

If you are still unhappy or not reassured you may wish to contact the Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) for further advice and support.  PALS staff will be happy to provide you with assistance and support you.  And, if the PALS staff are unable to resolve any issues for you informally, they can also provide you with an information pack on the formal complaints procedure and talk to you about how to access independent complaints advocacy services local to you if you need more support to pursue a formal complaint. 

You can make a formal complaint by writing to The Chief Executive, The House, Burton Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, Belvedere Road, Burton upon Trent, Staffordshire, DE13 0RB.    Alternatively, you can complete the ‘Share Your Experience’ Form which is on our website or contact our Complaint Team directly on the telephone number below and they will happily take the details of your concerns and agree with you how we will investigate and respond to you.

If you are unable to complain yourself, your complaint may be raised by someone acting on your behalf.  However, we will always seek your consent before dealing with a complaint or disclosing information about you to a third party.  If you are raising a concern relating to someone who has died, we will need to gain the consent of this persons’ next of kin as we are obliged to respect patient confidentiality at all times, even when someone has died.  Please be assured we will always try to assist you if you want raise a concern.

You should normally raise a complaint within twelve months of the event, or within twelve months of becoming aware that you have a complaint.  We can waive this time limit if there are good reasons why you have been unable to complain earlier. 

Our Complaints Team can be contacted on 01283 511511 extension 3112 between Monday and Friday from 9am to 4.00pm.  If they are out of the office, you will be able to leave a voice message and they will do their best to contact you the same, or next working day.

You can also contact our Complaints Team by:

E-Mail:    (who will forward your email to the Complaint Team)

Asking a member of Ward staff to contact them.

Writing to: The Complaints Team,  Queens Hospital Burton, Belvedere Road, Burton-on-Trent DE13 0RL

Download: ‘Share Your Experience’ form and return it to the Complaints Team at the address above.


  • GEM Going that extra mile
  • Top 40 Hospital Winner
  • NHS Choices
  • Urdu Polski
  • Burton Clinic