Help with travel costs

You may be entitled to help with travel costs to the hospital if you are a patient receiving certain benefits:

•Income Support

•Employment Support Allowance (ESA)

•Pension Credit (Guarantee Credit only): Payment cannot be made if you are receiving Savings Credit alone.

•Job Seekers Allowance (Income Based only):

•Payment cannot be made if your allowance is contribution based and/or solely on the Job Seekers Agreement (Blue Book).

•Working Tax Credits

•Child Tax Credit

•HC2 Form: You must be named on a valid HC2 Certificate.  Please be aware that these Certificates are usually only valid for 12 months.

•HC3 Form: You must be named on a valid HC3 Certificate.  You must be entitled to partial help. Please be aware that this Certificate is usually only valid for 12 months. 

Claiming travel expenses at Queen's

You may claim your travel costs from the General Office, Robert Bewick House, within three months of travel.  The office is open between 9am and 4.30pm Monday to Friday.  At other times please use Form HC5, available from the Help Desk, Emergency Department Reception, Outpatient Department, General Office, or it can be posted to your home address on request by telephoning the General Office on 01283 511511 extension 5917.  When you claim expenses at the hospital please bring your proof of benefit, appointment or admission letter and proof of travel, including public transport tickets or car parking receipts if appropriate.

If you are unable to go to the General Office, you can telephone from the Help Desk and a member of the General Office team will deliver your reimbursement in person.  Alternatively, you can claim by post using Form HC5. 

Please note that we cannot give you costs for a journey yet to be paid for.  If you do not have a return ticket, please make sure you bring money for your return journey.  You may claim for this by bringing your ticket for your journey home to the General Office on your next hospital visit (if it is within three months of the original date of travel); or post your ticket for your journey home together with Claim Form HC5, to the appropriate address as indicated on the form. 

If you need any advice about travel costs please telephone 01283 511511, extension 5917.

Claiming travel expenses at Samuel Johnson

There is a cashier's office on the ground floor which is available Monday-Friday between 9am to 4:30pm

Should the office be unmanned there will be a contact number displayed and a member of staff will come to you.

Claiming travel expenses at Robert Peel

Travel expenses are dealt with at main reception between 9am to 4:30pm


  • GEM Going that extra mile
  • Top 40 Hospital Winner
  • NHS Choices
  • Urdu Polski
  • Burton Clinic